Gifted Education Department
Valerie Jasinski, Coordinator, Gifted Education
Karen McManis, Secretary
This office is responsible for identifying and working to meet the needs of our gifted students by developing, delivering, and encouraging ability-appropriate academic challenges as well as social and emotional support for our students.
Gifted Education Staff
Elementary Gifted Facilitators
- Michelle Andears
- Angie Heath
- Kristina Hunter
- Laurel Preston
Middle School Gifted Facilitators
- Sarah Combs, Blendon & Walnut Springs
- Debbie Pellington, Genoa & Heritage
Gifted Self-Contained Classroom Teachers
- Beth Dalin, grade 3
- Jennifer Minnich, grade 3
- Jeff Miltko, grade 4
- Kathy Riesterer, grade 4
- Kim DeMooy, grade 5
- Jenny Findell, grade 5
High School Academic Advisors
- Monica Johnson, Westerville Central
- Colleen Biederman, Westerville North
- Kasandra Gutierrez, Westerville South
Early Entrance to Kindergarten Evaluation Process
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten FAQ: This document will answer many questions that you may have about the early entrance to Kindergarten process. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR EVALUATION WINDOW HAS CLOSED. The window runs annually from mid-March thru mid-May.
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten FAQ in Espanol
- Early Entrance to Kindergarten FAQ Somali version: Refer to this form for guidance on the Early Entrance to Kindergarten process
Gifted Evaluation and Services
- Overview of Gifted Education in Westerville City Schools: This document provides links to information regarding gifted assessment, identification, and service in the Westerville City School District.
- Do's and Don'ts for Motivating your High Ability Child: Great guidance on increasing motivation for your student.
- ODE: The Young Gifted Child: A Guide for Families
Gifted Identification Referral Forms
- Gifted Referral Information & Form
There are two times to refer students:
- End of July - End of October
- Mid March - End of April
- Grade Level Acceleration Information & Form
- Subject Acceleration Information & Form
WCS Gifted Education Parent Portal
- Schoology: Sign up for our WCS Parent Portal! This is a resource hub for your gifted child and the main communication platform our office uses. Access Code: 5ZJ67-Q5NZC
- Schoology Account Request Form: If you are a WCS parent and do not yet have a Schoology account, fill out this form and we will send you directions for how to sign up.
Online Enrichment Resources
- Northwestern University Midwest Academic Talent Search Information: The NUMATS program offers above-grade-level tests (EXPLORE©, the ACT©, and the SAT©) to qualified students in grades 3 through 9 at test centers in our area. These tests are internationally recognized measures of academic ability.
Policies Pertaining to Gifted Education