Cheryl Relford, Executive Director, Elementary Schools
The Westerville City School District Magnet Program is a voluntary elementary option offering an instructional program to students in grades 1-5 who have a particular interest and desire to experience education through a focused curriculum.
The Magnet Program consists of two different curricular options with an inquiry-based approach to learning. While the Magnet program is open to any WCSD student, there are limited seats available. Students may apply for enrollment in one of the two programs through a lottery.
Both programs emphasize a cooperative learning environment in a small school setting and include instruction in all major subject areas similar to our other elementary schools.
These programs will utilize an inquiry-based approach where children will learn critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, communication, and adaptability skills, all of which support our Portrait of a Graduate. Each program offers two classes per grade, grades 1-5 (with the second 5th grade class at Emerson coming in 2024-2025).
The Magnet Lottery Application for the 2023-24 School Year is now closed.
Hanby Elementary hosts the STEAM (science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics) program.
- For questions about Hanby's programs, please contact Principal Caley Baker at (614) 797-7100 or email her at email@example.com
- Or, CLICK HERE to visit Hanby's webpage.
Emerson Elementary hosts the World Cultures and Fine Arts (Grade 1-4) program.
- For questions regarding Emerson 's programs, please contact Principal Chris Poynter at (614) 797-7080 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Or, CLICK HERE to visit Emerson's webpage.
Instructional hours: For both Hanby and Emerson Elementary Schools
Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.
Magnet Program Timeline for 2023 Lottery
- Friday, February 10 - Deadline to submit requests to remain at Hanby or Emerson for CURRENT Grades 1-4.
- Monday, February 13 - Application available online at 10:00 a.m.
- Thursday, February 23 - Magnet Open House
- Hanby, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Emerson, 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 13 - Application Deadline is 10:00 a.m. New students must have completed enrollment.
- On or Before Friday, March 17 - Magnet Lottery
- On or Before Friday, March 24 - Lottery notification goes out to families
- Monday, April 3 @ 4:00 p.m. - Deadline for families to respond to Magnet invitation.
- Q: If I have more than one child to enter in the Magnet Lottery, Do I need to submit a separate application for each child?
- Q: Will my application be accepted after the March 13, 2023 @ 10:00 a.m. deadline?
- Q: Do the Magnet Programs teach the same curriculum as the other Westerville City Schools?
- Q: Are siblings of Magnet Program students given priority placement in the Magnet Program?
- Q: Once a child is accepted into the Magnet Program, is it necessary to reapply each year?
- Q: What procedures are followed if a child is on the waiting list for the Magnet Program?
- Q: Is transportation provided for students attending the Magnet Program?
- Q: How many Magnet Programs may I apply to?
- Q: How do I know that my application was received?
- Q: Is there a school-age childcare program (YWCA Kids Place) available at the Magnet Schools?
- Q: Can my child return to his/her home school after accepting an offer to attend a Magnet Program?