As communities around the world continue to adapt and adjust to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, members of our Class of 2020 have had to forego almost all of the traditional rites of passage in which graduating seniors participate during their final year in our Westerville City Schools.
We’re inviting the entire community to join us May 23, 2020, in a display of support for our graduates on what would have been the date of their traditional graduation ceremony. “Light the Path for the Class of 2020” is an event that you can safely participate in from home, your place of business, or just about anywhere. Here’s how to show your support:
- Tie a white ribbon around a tree or support post on the porch of your home and leave it displayed through Sunday, May 24.
- At 8:20 p.m. (20:20 military time) on May 23, display an electric candle in your home’s window(s) and/or stand in your front yard to hold a lighted candle from 8:20 p.m. until 8:40 p.m. The timing of this activity coincides with the district’s lighting of the stadiums at each high school in recognition of this year’s graduates.
“Light the Path for the Class of 2020” is one component of a three-part celebration to honor and thank this year’s graduates for the sacrifices they have made during what otherwise would be one of the happiest and most memorable times of their life. Throughout the day on May 23:
- Each school will release a commemorative Virtual Graduation Video for graduates and their families to view that morning.
- Graduates and their families will participate in a “drive-through” ceremony at their school to receive their diploma. Plans for this ceremony have been reviewed and approved by the county health department.
- Though the display of white ribbons will occur over the entire weekend, the third and final component of the day is the community-wide “Light the Path” activity described above.
Please help spread the word of this activity with your friends and neighbors who live in the Westerville City School District. Watch for social media posts promoting the event and share them widely. Our community has a rich history of rallying behind those who need it most. The Warhawks, Warriors and Wildcats who comprise our Class of 2020 are more than worthy of this unified display of love and support from our public. Thank you in advance for your participation.