On Thursday afternoon, May 16, Westerville South High School hosted its second Fine Arts Signing Day. A dozen students who have been given scholarship dollars to pursue careers in the fine, performing, visual, technical and digital arts gathered together to announce their destinations and pledge their intent to further their education.
Student athletes signing Letters of Intent are a longstanding tradition in high schools throughout the country. After years of hard work and dedication to their craft, the signing ceremony marks a rite of passage before they advance their careers to the next level at colleges or universities.
Arts Signing Day is similar – a chance to celebrate those who are choosing to start a life for themselves in the arts or arts-related fields. Graduate Desmond Fernandez came up with the idea last year, and he returned to South from Otterbein University to host the ceremony. South Theatre Director Matt Wolfe hopes this type of recognition becomes a tradition embraced by all high schools. “Schools should support and celebrate all students who further their passions in life beyond high school,” he said. “We are very appreciative of the administrative and teaching faculty at South for their support of this wonderful day.”
Pupils signing before well-wishers in the school auditorium were:
- Maxime Gaudoin-Perry, Otterbein University, Music Business
- Kaitlyn Grella, Bowling Green State University, Music Education
- Robby Cardona, Columbus College of Art and Design, Fashion Design
- Reagan Christie, Columbus College of Art and Design, Animation & Illustration
- Caroline Warrick, Lake Forest University, Art Scholar
- Cherish Myers, Marymount Manhattan College, Musical Theatre
- Abby Messina, Otterbein University, Acting
- Emily Hayman, DePaul University, Sound Design
- Hunter McCune, University of North Caroline School of the Arts, Light Design
- Madi Staten , Otterbein University, Theatre
- Abbie Collinsworth, Mount Union University, Musical Theatre
- Shannon Wright, Columbus College of Art and Design, Illustration
Following the signing ceremony, a reception was held in honor of these soon-to-be high school graduates.