|Kindergarten Registration Planned
|Posted Date: 1/18/2013
Westerville City Schools are preparing to begin the registration process for our next kindergarten class. We look forward to meeting our new families and greeting our returning families. Kindergarten is required for children before entering first grade. If your child will be five years old on or before September 30, 2013, you may register him/her for kindergarten.
Our procedure for registration is designed to meet the needs of parents. Registration for kindergarten will be held using our attendance boundaries. If you are unsure of your current home school of attendance, please contact any Westerville City Schools’ elementary school or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 614/797-7700.
Westerville City Schools is currently in the process of realigning the attendance boundaries for its elementary schools, including creating a new attendance area to serve Kindergarten through Grade 5 at Emerson and Hanby Elementary Schools. For the purposes of Kindergarten Packet Pick-up, please report to your currently assigned home school according to the address at which you reside. You will be notified in April if your home school is changed, based upon the boundary realignment.
If your child is a currently enrolled Westerville City Schools’ preschool student, you do not have to re-register with Westerville City Schools, though you are encouraged to participate in packet pick-up in order to familiarize yourself with Kindergarten-related opportunities and activities.
If your child turns five years old after September 30, 2013, and you believe they are ready for Kindergarten, please contact our Gifted & Talented Services department at 614/797-5887 to discuss early entrance.
Tuesday, February 19 – 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – REGISTRATION PACKET PICK-UP/BRING YOUR CALENDAR
Monday, February 25 through Thursday, March 28– INDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION APPOINTMENTS
- Parents may pick up a numbered registration packet at their current home school. While picking up the registration packet, the parent will sign up for a time to return the completed materials and required documents to the Enrollment and Family Resource Center located at 300 Polaris Parkway, Suite 3200, (inside the OhioHealth Medical Building).
- Parents will be given the option to sign up for an appointment time either during the day or an evening for returning their registration materials.
- Parents are to pick up a registration packet for their child only.
State law requires immunizations to be completed prior to entering school. Requirements are:
- Parents return the completed registration materials and required documentation to the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at the appointed time.
- If a parent is unable to meet their scheduled appointment, the parent is responsible for calling the Enrollment and Family Resource Center before March 28, 2013 to reschedule.
- Requirements for registration:
- Original birth certificate; passport (if United States, must provide birth certificate); I-94, Permanent Resident Visa or Green Card
- Photo ID for custodial parent
- Original court-stamped documents for custody, if applicable to situation
- Updated immunization records
- Medical records (of chronic conditions, if applicable)
- Current IEP/MFE, if applicable to your child
- Two (2) proofs of residency – choose first (1st) proof from the A list; the second (2nd) proof must be from the B list:
- Options for 1st proof:
- Purchase contract agreement/settlement statement to buy/lease property (within 60 days of closing); or
- Rental/Lease Agreement or Mortgage statement with custodial parent’s name listed; or
- Options for 2nd proof:
- Current (within 30 days) Public Utility Bill (water, gas, electric, landline phone, or cable bill); or
- Current (within 30 days) Government Mailing (child support, government assistance, tax mailing)
- DPT or DtaP shots (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus): 5 doses are required if the 4th dose was given prior to the 4th birthday. A minimum of 4 doses are required.
- Polio Vaccine: 4 doses of any combination of OPV or IPV are required; the final dose must be given on or after the 4th birthday regardless of the number of previous doses.
- Measles, mumps, rubella, MMR: 2 shot series – 1st dose required on or after 12 months of age
- Hepatitis B Virus – 3 doses required with proper spacing criteria
- VARINAX (chicken pox vaccine) or disease history – Two doses are required, the first being given on or after the 1st birthday. If the student has had the disease, verification/date may be provided by physician or parent.
Immunizations are available through your local health departments – Westerville and Gahanna, 614/462-3635; Columbus, 614/645-7945; and Delaware County, 740/368-1700.
If you have any questions regarding Kindergarten registration, please call your school’s office or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 614/797-7700. You may also visit our school website at www.wcsoh.org for additional information.