Kindergarten is required for children before entering first grade. If your child will be five years old on or before September 30, 2014, you may register him/her for kindergarten.
Kindergarten Registration for the 2015-16 school year will begin in February with the following events:
Kindergarten 101 is a presentation by principals, Kindergarten teachers, nurses, and representatives from the District Enrollment Center. The purpose of the presentation is to inform parents of the process for enrolling their child for Kindergarten, educating parents on the typical Kindergarten day and what is expected of our Kindergarteners throughout the school year, and to answer questions parents may have about the Kindergarten experience.
Kindergarten Packet Pick-up
Kindergarten Packet Pick-Up is a set evening during which all elementary schools open their doors to welcome the next Kindergarten families. Parents will need to report to their assigned school to obtain a registration packet that will contain nessesary directions for families to enroll their child in Kindergarten.
Kindergarten Registration Appointments
Parents are to complete the necessary paperwork and bring all required documents to their scheduled registration appointment at the District Enrollment Center. Kindergarten registration will begin in February. Please see a list of required documents below.
Kindergarten Gentle Start and Kindergarten First Day of School
More information about Gentle Start and the First Day of School to come.
Requirements for Registration
When you come to the Family Resource Center for your scheduled registration appointment, you must come to the appointment with the following forms already completed:
- Completed online registration;
- original birth certificate;
- parent/legal guardian photo ID;
- divorce/custody documentation (if applicable);
- current IEP/MFE paperwork (if applicable);
- two (2) current proofs of residency; and
- updated/completed immunization form.
What immunizations are required for entrance into kindergarten?
State law requires immunizations to be completed prior to entering school. Requirements are:
- DPT or DtaP (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus). A minimum of four. If the fourth dose was administered before the age of four, a fifth dose is required.
- Polio – a minimum of four doses; last dose must be given on or after 4th birthday regardless of number of doses.
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella). Two doses required.
- HBV (Hepatitis B). Three doses required.
- Varivax (chicken pox). Two doses or history of disease is required for Kindergarten entry. First dose must be given on or after the 1st birthday.
Where can you go to get the required immunizations for entrance into kindergarten?
Immunizations are available through your local health departments. Health departments serving Westerville City Schools families include:
- Westerville & Gahanna: 614-462-3635
- Columbus: 614-645-7945
- Delaware County: 740-368-1700
If you have any questions about immunizations, please call your school office or the Enrollment and Family Resource Center at 797-7700.