Career Center Programming
Under a cooperative program with Columbus Public Schools and Delaware Area Career Centers, Westerville students may take Career-Technical courses taught at career centers located nearby in Columbus and Delaware. In these courses, students learn skills so they can enter a job immediately after high school or continue in college. Students learn by practical, active experiences, similar to those found on the job, as well as by studying classroom theory.
Bus transportation is provided. The buses leave from Westerville North, South and Central High School, Central College Magnet School, Annehurst Elementary School, and Glengary Shopping Center. Students riding the career center bus will need to provide their own transportation to these pick-up points.
Most programs are two-year courses, taken during the 11th and /or 12th grades. Each course meets 3 hours daily and is valued at 3.0 credits a year. Senior-only programs are available to students in 12th grade.
Interested students need to take as many required subjects as possible during the 9th and 10th grades to have time available for these programs during the 11th and 12th grades. It is necessary to submit an application and to be accepted for all programs. Students apply for two-year programs in December-February of the 10th grade. Selection is generally based on high interest and good attendance.
Discover what programs and opportunities each career center has to offer by visiting the links on the right.
Current Career Center Students
COLUMBUS/DELAWARE CAREER CENTER INFORMATION
New School Year Information: Each career center will send a communication home regarding the start of the new school year. We are still waiting to hear more about the 20-21 school year plans.
- For more information and updates about the 20-21 school year at DACC, please visit https://www.delawareareacc.org/COVID-19-Information.
- DACC has provided additional information about the 20-21 school year on this website as of 7/31/20. Find DACC's Return to School Plan here.
- For more information and updates about the 20-21 school year at Fort Hayes or Columbus Downtown High School, please visit https://www.ccsoh.us/domain/3474.
- You can also view a virtual orientation for your program by following the links on the right.
- Fort Hayes Career Center is hosting a Family Night Zoom meeting on Wednesday, 9/2 at 6 pm. Meeting details were sent to students via email.
- Columbus Downtown High School is hosting a Family Night Zoom meeting at 6 pm on Wednesday, 9/2 for Juniors and Thursday, 9/3 for seniors. Meeting details were sent via a phone message and the meeting details can be found on the school's webpage.
Yearly Schedule: Career Center students MUST ATTEND either Columbus, Delaware, and/or your Westerville High School when it is in session - even if the other system has a day off. See the links to the right for copies of the school calendars for Columbus City Schools and Delaware Area Career Centers as they become available.
- The 2020-2021 calendar for Columbus City Schools is now available. Please note that there has been a change in the start date for students and the first day will be September 8, 2020.
Absence from Career Center: If you are to be absent from your Career Center for any reason (even missing the bus), you are required to call the Career Center for each day of absence. Here are the phone numbers:
Bus Schedules for Career Centers: Students who attend Columbus Career Centers in the morning will need to have their own transportation to a pick-up point. Delaware Career Center students can ride their neighborhood bus to their home high school in the morning and then transfer to the Career Center bus. Find additional bussing information on WCS's Transportation page.
Career Center Questions? Contact your building's Career Center Liaison:
WNHS - Ms. Beebe, 614-797-6220 or email@example.com
WCHS - Mrs. Ackermann, 614-797-6831 or firstname.lastname@example.org
WSHS - Mr. Ferguson, 614-797-6022 or email@example.com