Board Halts Elementary Attendance Boundary Realignment
Westerville City School District Board of Education President Denise Pope tonight announced that the Board is stopping the elementary attendance boundary realignment process. Read more here.
Analyses of elementary enrollment data and the elimination of the magnet program have prompted the Westerville City School District to begin a process to realign elementary school attendance boundaries.
The realignment committee has been developing options based upon feedback from parents and the community gathered via:
- Open houses
- Feb. 14 - 8:00 a.m. at Huber Ridge Elementary school followed by Committee Meeting
- Feb. 19 - 6:30 p.m. at Alcott Elementary school followed by Committee Meeting
- E-mails and other electronic feedback
- PTA/PTO Meetings:
- Feb. 12 - Annehurst (PTO)
- Feb. 12 - McVay (PTA)
- Feb. 12 - Wilder (PTA)
- Feb. 13 - Alcott (PTA)
- Feb. 19 - Robert Frost (KG Packet Pick-Up), 6:00 PM
- Feb. 20 - Emerson (PTA), 7:00 PM
- Feb. 20 - Hawthorne (PTA), 5:30 PM
- Feb. 20 - Mark Twain (PTA Sponsored), 7:00 PM
- Feb. 21 - Cherrington (Math/Science Family Night), 6:00 PM
- Feb. 21 - Hanby (PTA), 6:30 PM
- Feb. 21 - Pointview (PTA), 6:30 PM
- Feb. 21 - Whittier (PTA), 7:00 PM
- ESL Community Information Meetings
- Mar. 1 - Somali Speaking Meeting - Mark Twain, 10 AM
- Mar. 1 - Spanish Speaking Meeting - OhioHealth, Westerville, 2 PM
- Elementary Attendance Boundary Realignment Committee Meetings
- Feb. 5 - Early Learning Ctr. (936 Eastwind Dr.), 9:30 a.m.
- Feb. 14 - Huber Ridge Elementary, following 8 a.m. open house
- Feb. 19 - Alcott Elementary, following 7:30 p.m. open house
Feb. 22 - Early Learning Ctr., 9:30 a.m. (Rescheduled due to weather)
- Feb. 25 - Early Learning Ctr., 9:30 a.m.
- Mar. 7 - Early Learning Ctr., 10:45 a.m.
- Mar. 8 - Early Learning Ctr., 9:45 a.m.
- Mar. 13 - Early Learning Ctr., 9:45 a.m.
The EABRC on Monday presented Board members with an overview of its work to date. Community feedback has helped committee members shape prior boundary options into Option D-3. The result of the committee’s work yesterday is Option D-3R.
Board members will meet in Special Session at 6 p.m. on Monday, March 18, 2013, in the Westerville South High School Commons to hold a first reading on Option D-3R. Approval of the realignment plan would not occur until the Board holds a second reading on the proposal, which would not occur until early April. Westerville City Schools is on spring break from March 25 through March 29 and the Board’s next regular meeting is scheduled for April 8, 2013.
Information about the process and boundary revisions will continue to be accessible on this webpage. Per Board policy 7110, boundary realignment will be initiated when enrollment capacities are accepted by the Board as having a current or projected negative impact on student achievement.
In earlier discussions about realignment, Board members noted that the pros and cons of any proposals must be clearly identified, particularly when there are competing parameters under discussion, such as developing boundaries that consider a school’s demographic composition versus boundaries based solely on a neighborhood school concept.